Tips To Mitigate Roof Damage
After a devastating weather event, roof damage is one of the most common issues that homeowners must deal with. If your roof in Tri-Lakes, CO, is in need of repair, there are some initial mitigation steps you should follow.
Conduct a Roof Inspection
Wind damage can wreak havoc on your home's roof. As soon as the storm has passed, look for issues on top:
- Check for damaged and missing shingles. If you spot holes or empty spaces between shingles, board them up with plywood.
- Examine the gutters as well and remove any dirt and debris. This allows water to drain off the roof properly.
- Look for leaks. If any water has leaked through the ceiling and into the house, call a water damage repair service as soon as possible.
Call a Roof Inspection Service
If roof damage is substantial, contact a professional roof repair person right away. The expert will inspect the roof by utilizing some or all of the following procedures, depending on the extent of the damage:
- Full visual inspection of the flashings and membranes – An expert knows how to identify problems that an insurance adjuster may miss.
- Survey of the moisture within the roof's system – Through the use of infrared thermography, the amount of water in the insulation can be quantified.
- Testing the roof's core – This test helps to determine the useful life of the roof's components, including decking and insulation.
- Weather event documentation – Through the use of software, specific weather events can be identified. Such things as the size of the hail, the strength of the wind and the amount of rain help to confirm that the weather event caused the damage.
It's a smart idea to establish rapport with a professional roof inspector before a weather event occurs. Getting a pre-event quote can help you save money and time in the event of a storm.
Since roof damage is common during a weather event, it is helpful to know how to mitigate the situation ahead of time.